Monday, October 13, 2014

Happy October at the Owl Cafe

IMG_8592

IMG_8538

IMG_8556

IMG_8583



Something about Harry Potter always feels pretty Halloweeny to me- I know it's obviously about witches and wizards and magic and castles and and boasts plenty of dark and gothic scenery/vibes etc- that seems fairly quintessentially Halloween. You get broomsticks, you get scary bad guys in hooded cloaks, you get giant monstrous spiders, you get ghosts and their death day parties, reanimated corpses, and some pretty dark magical murders. When October rolls around I always find myself wanting to plough through all the books and movies to 'get in the spirit' of the Holiday. This year I'm multitasking by listening to the books on tape while I knit so I can hopefully finish my mustard sweater in time to wear it for this season.

I think I just really love immersing myself in the atmosphere of JK Rowling's world. She's so wonderfully descriptive and ever since I started reading the series when I was 11 I've always loved the imagery of the huge sprawling maze of an old castle, lit by candles and torches and filled with friendly ghosts and secret passageways and hidden nooks and crannies and the most interesting magical secrets. The movies did a great job of bringing it all to life, and I especially love the festiveness at Halloween that comes across in both the books and the movies with all the beautiful ambient decorations and perfect setting.

Another thing I always found charming about this wizarding world was the humans' relationship with magical creatures- especially owls. As a kid I was always obsessed with animals and wanted to be surrounded by as many pets as possible, and longed to befriend all kinds of wild animals, I was totally enthralled by the idea of having this cute little best friend owl that would be free to fly around but would always come back because of this special loyal bond. When I got wind that Tokyo had opened a few owl cafes, I felt like it would be the perfect festive October outing. And I even still had my gryffindor scarf...



IMG_8574

IMG_8543

IMG_8590



So when I was researching owl cafes, I knew I really wanted to visit one that had a barn owl. Barn owls have been one of my very favourite animals for a long time- like, my patronus would definitely be a barn owl. There used to be a pair that lived in the old wood barn on the farm property belonging to my....I think it was great uncle? Whenever we would visit my grandpa's cabin in central Utah, we would always stop at the farmhouse and barn on the way up the mountain. I loved watching the barn owls swoop in and out of the rafters and sleep huddled up together in the old wood beams. I thought their faces were the cutest thing, and they've aways seemed kind of ghostlike to me. I found this cafe called Cafe Baron, named after Baron, the owner's barn owl, and it was the best fit for what I was looking for.

The cafe was small, quiet, and simple, tucked away in a little side street in Koenji, a cutesy suburb in Tokyo. The owner was very kind and soft spoken, and you could tell he loved and had a great relationship with his two owls. He had them trained super well, and you could barely even feel their touch while holding them- they gripped so gently with those sharp talons. The great grey owl was hilarious- he kept hopping from chair to chair in big awkward leaps, and when he walked along the floor his movements looked like some comical puppet come to life. I was pretty excited because he was the same type of owl as Errol, Ron's owl in Harry Potter. You might recognize that cartoony feathered face from the movies. He was a very curious guy, and a lot of fun to watch. We ordered hot drinks in cute wooden owl mugs with owl biscuits and a mont blanc (chestnut cream) pastry. The quality of the drinks and treats were top notch and really exceeded our expectations. We thoroughly enjoyed the flavours, and appreciated that nothing was too sweet.

Baron the barn owl had me captivated as soon as we came in the door with his adorable charming little face, huge round eyes, and peaceful demeanor. He would hang out sometimes on a perch or a shelf, or a shoulder, and then suddenly and completely silently drift off to a new location when he got bored- and seeing him swoop and fly back and forth was stunning. I could have stayed all day watching him and enjoying lovely owl themed treats, and I'll certainly be back.



IMG_8602

IMG_8578



Happy October and Halloweeny Times!

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh the owls are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whhaaaaaa!!!! OWL cafe!!!???? That is so freaking awesome. I played with owls at a falconry school for my birthday but THIS is just out of this world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whhaaaaaa!!!! OWL cafe!!!???? That is so freaking awesome. I played with owls at a falconry school for my birthday but THIS is just out of this world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHHH YES KATHRYN. what is this magic. love love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GODDDDDD. This is so awesome! You are adorable!! I've never heard of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I need to go to here. This is amazing!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing experience. Owls are so wonderful - I love hearing the call of the screech owl.

    It looks like you had a great time. Your Harry Potter getup is so sweet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go there so badly. @.@ I love your outfit! I'm a Hufflepuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Owls are my favorite animals and this is officially on my must-do list when I visit Tokyo.
    Amazing.

    xx Abby a geek tragedy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nooooo so jealous! :-D It's already on my to-visit list, but I just can't wait to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my <3 I'm still smiling :) I love the story and I love that fact that people do something like this :) Owls are amazing animals. I've never seen owl and I'd love to visit this place. I'm sure I'd love them all and cuddled all the time ;)

    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww you are gorgeous! I really like owls, I'll visit this when I'll visit Tokyo! sure. Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  13. america needs to get it together and start both a cat cafe and an owl cafe. maybe i should start both? you look adorable on these pictures. im really loving the glasses.

    ReplyDelete